Seismic Field Engineering Technician
JOB DESCRIPTION: THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA.
KBR, under contract to US Geological Survey (USGS), is seeking an Engineering Technician to provide field support in support of the USGS Earthquake Science Center mission in Menlo Park, California. The USGS requires installation, operation, and maintenance of seismic stations in the National Strong Motion Network (NSNM) and Northern California Seismic Network (NCSN) as part of the Earthquake Monitoring Project.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide variety of equipment used for seismic monitoring, structural health monitoring, power distribution, and communications.
Relocation assistance may be available for qualified candidates.
- Installation of new sites and upgrading and maintaining existing sites with state-of-the-art digital seismic recording equipment. The work requires understanding of and the ability to install, configure, and troubleshoot sophisticated electronic components including but not limited to seismometers, data loggers, power systems, cellular modems, and radios.
- Reconnaissance of structures, utilizing plans, drawings, and records from previous site visits; documents both structural and non-structural peculiarities that could hamper system installation, influence transducer response, or in any way compromise reliable system operation.
- Monitoring of station operations and assisting USGS Technicians in addressing outages quickly to minimize impacts on the whole system.
- Keeping proper records and documentation, including, but not limited to, station maintenance histories, field files, landowner information, and equipment databases. Submits accurate change forms when altering station configuration. Assist in permitting as required.
- Working with USGS technicians and scientists from USGS and other institutions on special studies and field response to significant earthquakes.
- Travel on a frequent basis to station locations in northern California and the immediate surrounding region.
- AA or AS degree plus 2 years of related experience; or in lieu of a degree, 4 years of related experience
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience performing tasks similar to those above
- Thorough understanding and experience applying the principles, theories, and practices of electronics in order to install, repair, maintain, test, and modify digital electronic circuits, communications links, and electro-mechanical systems, and observatory quality digital seismological field equipment with critical tolerance or performance characteristics.
- Knowledge of and experience with observatory quality digital, real-time seismograph network field and laboratory operations.
- Knowledge of Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS) field system equipment, including component and parts compatibility.
- Working knowledge of the installation and operation of seismograph stations and/or electronic equipment.
- Working knowledge of the use of field seismic network computer software.
- Must be in good physical condition, having the ability to lift heavy objects, work in adverse conditions, climb vertical ladders up to distances of 120 feet, work in confined spaces, and maneuver in tight areas above building ceilings, to include interstitial spaces.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- General experience using Microsoft Project, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Attention to detail
- US Citizenship required
- Valid state driver’s license and a safe driving record required
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and technologies across the asset and program lifecycle within the Government Solutions and Energy sectors. KBR employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide (including our joint ventures), with customers in more than 80 countries, and operations in 40 countries, across three synergistic global businesses:
Government Solutions , serving government customers globally, including capabilities that cover the full lifecycle of defense, space, aviation and other government programs and missions from research and development, through systems engineering, test and evaluation, program management, to operations, maintenance, and field logistics
Technology Solutions , featuring proprietary technology, equipment, catalysts, digital solutions and related technical services for the monetization of hydrocarbons, including refining, petrochemicals, ammonia and specialty chemicals, as well as inorganics
Energy Solutions , including onshore oil and gas; LNG (liquefaction and regasification)/GTL; oil refining; petrochemicals; chemicals; fertilizers; differentiated EPC; maintenance services (Brown & Root Industrial Services); offshore oil and gas (shallow-water, deep-water, subsea); floating solutions (FPU, FPSO, FLNG & FSRU); program management and consulting services
KBR is proud to work with its customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, integrated EPC delivery and long term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver .