The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Common Ground System (CGS) is NOAA’s next-generation operational Earth Observation Program that acquires and distributes global weather and environmental data from multiple low Earth, polar-orbiting satellites. JPSS data is used for mid-range 3-7 day ahead warnings of severe weather; and environmental imaging and monitoring for short term polar weather and global ocean / atmosphere forecasting/monitoring. JPSS also supports DoD Weather, European Weather, the Japanese Space Agency and the National Science Foundation.
The JPSS CGS Platform Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leader will report to the JPSS CGS Program Director and be responsible for cost, schedule, technical implementation and operations of the platform hardware and software infrastructure that supports the Command Control Communications Segment (C3S) IPT. The Platform IPT will have hardware and networking equipment at many sites including Suitland, MD, West Virginia, Fairbanks AK as well as Svalbard, Norway and McMurdo, Antarctica.
This role will be responsible for the execution of the JPSS CGS program in the following areas:
- Management of all platform activities, including: new business, non-recurring engineering, development, and sustainment of the existing Operational System, and support to 24/7 mission operations
- Daily interaction with the JPSS Security customer and team
- Weekly interaction with the JPSS C3S customer program office leadership team
- Ensuring the appropriate design, development and testing is performed in coordination with the C3S IPT for all sustainment and new development releases
- Planned obsolescence of all platform hardware and software
- Security design, implementation, updates, patching and incident response
- Leading a geographically dispersed team
- Mentoring the team and implementing diversity of thought and experience to build an organization capable of sustained performance excellence and growth across multiple regions
- Experience with NOAA / NASA customer base
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading teams in the defense and aerospace sector
- Minimum 10 years of experience in large, complex ground system engineering and architecture
- Proven leadership abilities and strong complex customer relationship skills
- Experience with business and project management tools and processes such as EVMS, IMS/IMP, risk management, financial forecasting and EACs
- Ability to set program strategy, vision and tactical direction for program execution by a matrixed team
- Exceptional team player, with the confidence and integrity to quickly earn the confidence of customers and staff
- Leadership experience developing and keeping the team on a complex schedule
- Creative team building skills to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Exceptional written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Level 5 Raytheon Program Management Certification or the ability to obtain certification within one year
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
Required Education (including Major):B.S./B.A. degree. Science, Technology, Engineering or Math degree preferred; Master’s degree desiredLocation: Aurora, CO or Riverdale, MDThis position requires a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
- Cybersecurity expertise
- IT Architecture experience including both Windows and Linux systems
- Experience leading Agile and/or DevOps teams
- Experience with JPSS program customers and culture
- Experience managing a program requiring support from multiple functional disciplines with contract values exceeding $50M
- Experience managing a profit and loss center with a geographically dispersed workforce
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.