This engineering fabrication shop intern position will provide experience with general machining operations, CNC programming, will interface with design engineers in support of producing engineering prototype parts and assemblies for multiple programs. There will also be opportunities for learning to make tight tolerance sheet metal parts and mechanical assemblies.
- Have experience in or be willing to learn and participate in a fast pace, deadline driven machine shop environment
- Experience programming and running CNC machines
- Able to read Blueprints, Parts drawings, Sketches, Assembly Drawings, BOM’s and product specifications
- A desire to create Mechanical parts and assemblies from sketches or detailed drawings utilizing specification requirements, and a BOM in close collaboration with program engineers
- Experience working with Pro-E or other CAD CAM tools
- A working knowledge of the capabilities of milling machines, lathes, drill presses, grinders, cut-off saws, and other shop tools.
- Able to be trained to create tight tolerance precision machined parts paying attention to detail while meeting timing and cost constraints
- Basic math and geometry problem solving skills
- Experience using Microsoft office including Excel and Word
- Experience using basic measuring tools including Micrometers, Calipers, Height Gage and Multi-axis measurement tools
- Willing to work flexible hours and overtime when schedules permit to meet deadlines
- Comfortable working independently with minimal direction to produce hardware that will meet the engineers requirements
- Support Raytheon engineering meetings and special events throughout the year as possible to boost networking opportunities and expand their sphere of influence
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems
- A minimum of 1 to 3 years of machine shop experience
- Able to work independently but know when to stop and ask the right questions,
- a self-starter
- Experience with making parts for electronic and mechanical assemblies
- Have a secret clearance (or is capable of obtaining a secret clearance within 3 to 6 months of accepting the position).
- Enjoys Multitasking, is willing and can handle supporting work projects and excel in school work simultaneously
- Experience using sheet metal equipment. Brakes, punches, shear, is able to make enclosures holding tolerances of .005” minimum.
Currently pursuing a BS degree from a four-year university and entering as a college Junior or Senior year OR pursuing a MS / PhD by Fall 2020. Must be working towards a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Material Engineering, Engineering Technology, Physics, or equivalent technical discipline. Must be appropriate grade level listed above.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.