Software Engineering Intern
- Interns will work with scientific and engineering staff supporting projects using Machine Learning techniques (including reinforcement learning) to enable autonomous systems and robotics. Research Explainable AI and leverage this technology use it to detect bias in machine learning models, and use distributed ledger/block-chain technology to enable governance and management of flight identifiers. For all projects, interns will leverage the AWS machine learning tools continue to advance KBR’s knowledge and application of robotics and autonomy. Other projects will include current Internet-of Things (IoT) and mobile computing technology to leverage these technologies for Edge Computing initiatives to develop and deploy processing at the Edge, as well as the research and development of Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (AR/VR) software and hardware tools. Interns will develop an AR/VR solution to simulate real-world environments and facilitate activities such as remote maintenance of complex systems and virtual training environments.
- Interns will collaborate with scientific and engineering staff supporting projects such as the development of a Cloud Security Strategy to leverage the built-in capabilities provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS tools used will include CloudWatch, Inspector, Systems Manager, GuardDuty, Kibana, and QuickSight, with opportunities for the addition of custom tools for configuration management, training, and other elements to complete a robust Cloud-based security framework for KBR. The framework will include an end-to-end DevSecOps platform designed to automate security requirements by embedding security controls and processes early in the DevOps workflow, and will help our customers continue to develop and apply new technology capabilities while retaining systems security.
- Interns will use Cloud-based techniques from machine learning such as data cubes and data clustering, to cluster populations of satellite-based data and use sophisticated analysis techniques such as Functional Data Analysis (FDA). The project will leverage a cloud-based implementation of the Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana (ELK) tool suite, which will provide unlimited scalability for rapid ramp-up of computing resources to meet the expected demands of satellite data analytics and other complex systems that engage different science disciplines with infrastructures that build on the concept of multidimensional data models (data hypercube).
- Finally, interns will formulate a Use Case for a NASA Ground System to demonstrate the effectiveness of blockchain technology, to include the development of a testbed configuration to review and analyze the potential use and value of blockchain as a security solution. The testbed used will assume a private blockchain environment, and the testing will utilize an AWS cloud-based infrastructure provided by KBR.
- Interns will spend the majority of their researching, installing, and configuring new tools, programming using the selected tools, and learning more efficient methods to solve a given problem. Interns are not required to be programming experts, but they should have a passion for learning about new things and not be afraid to jump in and try out new tools and/or solutions.
- Interns will leverage an Agile Development process with daily scrum meetings facilitated by the use of Jira to capture user stories and track the status of all issues. Fridays are reserved for documenting the work each week in the form of a Wiki site, as well as numerous forms of documentation (Powerpoint, Word, Visio, etc.). Once a month, interns will present the work they have completed to other staff members at KBR, with a final presentation at the end of the summer to both KBR and customer personnel.
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate coursework in a degree program at an accredited university
- U.S. Citizenship required because of the sensitivity of work
- Basic familiarity with virtual environments and cloud-based technologies, as well as programming languages such as Java, Python, Perl etc.
- Estimated at 32-40 hours/week with flexibility to accommodate intern’s education
- June 1st - Aug 17th, 2020
Degree Required: High School Diploma
Years of experience: 0-2 years
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and technologies across the asset and program lifecycle within the Government Solutions and Energy sectors. KBR employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide (including our joint ventures), with customers in more than 80 countries, and operations in 40 countries, across three synergistic global businesses:
Government Solutions , serving government customers globally, including capabilities that cover the full lifecycle of defense, space, aviation and other government programs and missions from research and development, through systems engineering, test and evaluation, program management, to operations, maintenance, and field logistics
Technology Solutions , featuring proprietary technology, equipment, catalysts, digital solutions and related technical services for the monetization of hydrocarbons, including refining, petrochemicals, ammonia and specialty chemicals, as well as inorganics
Energy Solutions , including onshore oil and gas; LNG (liquefaction and regasification)/GTL; oil refining; petrochemicals; chemicals; fertilizers; differentiated EPC; maintenance services (Brown & Root Industrial Services); offshore oil and gas (shallow-water, deep-water, subsea); floating solutions (FPU, FPSO, FLNG & FSRU); program management and consulting services
KBR is proud to work with its customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, integrated EPC delivery and long term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver .