GDIT is seeking a Systems Technician to join our Technical Operations Center (TOC) for the National Institute of Health (NIH) Center for Information Technology (CIT) program. This role requires coordination and multi-tasking skills to advise and dispatch technicians and engineering teams, who then resolve enterprise-wide technical issues. Candidates will provide eyes on glass monitoring of the network infrastructure and will investigate, verify, report, communicate and escalate any issues. Strong writing skills are required to author communications that are sent out to the NIH user community and NIH leadership about outages, upgrades, IT challenges, etc. Candidates will also work with the technical teams to write up outage summaries and lessons-learned reports for senior management to understand the impact to the NIH community and corrections to avoid future occurrences. You will have the opportunity to work across a wide variety of IT issues and learn about many different technologies; with the opportunity to grow into more advanced roles.
This team provides 24x7x365 support to the NIH user community. Members are asked to be flexible in providing coverage outside of their normal shift hours, when the need arises. Position is for full time employment with GDIT and is an on-site position based at our client's office in Bethesda, MD. We are currently hiring for the swing shift (2pm-10:30pm), Tuesday thru Saturday.
Responsibilities and Job Duties:
- Provide eyes on glass monitoring using various monitoring tools, such as Monolith, Splunk, and Grafana, SiteScope, SCOM, SL1, and xMatters and proactively identify and assess problems
- Investigate and verify alerts and reported issues
- Escalate issues to the Tier 2 network operations team when necessary
- Access devices and analyze graphing
- Review device logs documentation and analysis
- Perform Firewall Utilization Monitoring
- Perform real time monitoring of vital TIC connections
- Provide general event management and communication management support for the NIH
- Coordinate and facilitate conference bridges as part of event management
- Provide Prevention Support: Coordinate necessary changes in system information, contact information and existing processes to prevent recurrence of problems
- Handle customer requests for IT communication efforts including calendar postings, bulletin board postings, maintenance window date coordination, customer notifications, meeting minutes processing, report preparation and publication, meeting setup, ticket review, etc.
- Author reports, participate in incident review meetings, facilitate active problem management activities, routinely follow up on long-term problems, prepare data for status/findings presentations, prepare flowcharts and draft process documents for team activities.
- Communicate and facilitate open communication between all stakeholders.
- Provide support to the technical team to help minimize non-scheduled outage times of all IT systems
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- AA/AS or the equivalent experience and three years experience
- Minimum of three years experience working in a NOC environment
- Minimum of three years IT experience, including a good understanding of networking and/or network monitoring tools.
- Incident management experience
- Customer service experience
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Working knowledge of IT Infrastructure Operations (such as systems and network administration, security, various tools, etc.)
- Familiarity with ITIL
- Experience with any of the following monitoring and reporting tools: Monolith, Grafana, Splunk, xMatters, SCOM, Sitescope, SL1,ServiceNow
- Good writing skills
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.