Commercial Delivery Team Leader
Sellafield Ltd awarded a 20-year contract to four organisations in May 2019, which will help deliver the site’s decommissioning programme, with KBR acting as the Integration Partner. The Programme and Project Partners (PPP) has been developed to help make the Sellafield site safer, sooner. The new approach will support the transformation of the company from a nuclear operator into a world leader in environmental remediation and is one of the most complex portfolios of construction projects in the world, stretching over many decades. KBR Ltd is playing an integral part in the delivery of PPP acting as the Integration Partner, leading on the delivery & controls of numerous multi-million pound construction projects.
Now is your chance to be part of this vital work, a once-in-a-career opportunity working as Commercial Delivery Team Leader.
Reporting to the Deputy Head of the Client Management Team (CMT), the role is to lead and manage a team that fulfils the CMT project delivery function for a portfolio of projects forming part of the Infrastructure Strategic Alliance (ISA) programme of works. Engaged in both pre and post contract activities and playing a key role in the successful and optimum provision of required goods and services from the Supply Chain and the associated delivery of scope, schedule and cost.
The ISA is a truly collaborative partnership between Sellafield and their Delivery Partner that breaks down the traditional adversarial client and contractor roles. This partnership is based on trust and has created a one team multi-disciplined delivery organisation within which the client and contractor roles become blurred; many contract and commercial functions that would normally carried out by the Client may be carried out by the Contractor.
The purpose of the CMT is to ensure that the ISA is commercially compliant with Sellafield governance and that the ISA is delivering value.
- Lead the CMT project delivery function for a portfolio of projects to ensure common understanding of objectives and deliverables across the ISA.
- Work with Project Controls and Finance to develop and approve the review of project funding and delivery budget.
- Liaise with Delivery Partner to determine and agree appropriate procurement strategy for each project. This to include make/buy analysis, subcontracting strategy, form of contract and incentive arrangements.
- Liaise with the Delivery Partner’s Supply Chain team and Commercial team to ensure best practice procurement and that the procurement strategy is adhered to.
- Ensure contracts and associated documents have been reviewed and assured prior to execution; including contract sum, Scope/Works Information, Site Information, and terms and conditions.
- Understand the commercial position of each project within their portfolio. This to include the review and validation of commercial data provided by others such as monthly cost reports, cost value reconciliations and cost forecasts against budget.
- Understand and review Commercial & Financial system requirements. Agree procedures for effective cost control maintaining close liaison with functional managers as required.
- Ensure all projects and contracts are contractually and commercially managed as required, either directly or via audit of Delivery Partner contract management practices.
- Review and assess the entitlement of all Compensation Events and the agreement of Quotations, including any delay assessment.
- Review and assess amounts due under each contract.
- Provide early warning system for commercial and financial implications of potential claims and oversee claims rejection/negotiation or acceptance procedures.
- Provide feedback, coaching and mentoring to the CMT members and ISA generally to improve delivery efficiency and promote best practice.
- Liaise closely with the CMT audit and assurance team lead leads to incorporate emerging audit requirements into the audit plan.
- Promote a partnering ethos.
- Provide demonstrable leadership of area managed and be a role model to staff that epitomises the stated values and behaviours for CMT, ISA and Sellafield.
- Support the development of an optimum Commercial organisation fully resourced with the required skills to provide the necessary support to meet workload needs, and to manage and motivate staff.
- Identify and prioritise the development needs for staff to be able to deliver the outputs and performance priorities for their roles, and to assist in delivering agreed development plans.
- Lead the process that provides all managed staff with appropriate SMART objectives for the performance period and to provide in-year and year-end objective feedback on performance and behaviours.
- Create positive working relationships with those departments and personnel (internal and external) that are critical in delivering required performance.
- Create the local working culture in which all staff focus on those to whom a service is delivered and identify ways of improving the quality of what is delivered.
- To ensure consistent application and implementation of Commercial policy and procedures.
- Exercise individual financial delegated authority in accordance with Sellafield policy and procedures and as delegated by the Commercial Director, Sellafield Ltd.
- To assist the Deputy Head of CMT in managing key stakeholder relationships, including the NDA and other identified stakeholder issues.
- To ensure compliance with health and safety requirements, including promoting a safety culture (both within Sellafield Ltd and the Supply Chain).
Key attributes for Associate Audit and Assurance
- A clear understanding of ISA and Sellafield Limited stated values and behaviours and a demonstrable ability to make these a reality when working with and leading others.
- Demonstrable awareness of the wider corporate responsibilities inherent in the role and a clear desire to work corporately with others in order to deliver key organisational objectives.
- Clear appreciation of the regulatory framework within which Sellafield operates and a thorough understanding of the statutory, policy and contractual requirements applicable to the postholder’s areas of operation. The ability to devise methods of monitoring compliance and to manage non-compliance.
- Demonstrable ability to identify organisational priorities and to support staff in the achievement of challenging objectives, making best use of staff resources. A clear understanding of the importance of achieving higher performance through the development of staff.
- An appreciation of the overall financial basis of Sellafield’s operations, coupled with an ability to devise realistic, robust budgets to support operational priorities. The ability to use financial and budgetary information to track progress and to take appropriate action when variances arise.
- Proven ability to work with and influence others at all levels, both within and outside of Sellafield, and to focus the team’s efforts on meeting the needs of customers and / or clients.
- The ability to identify obstacles to individual, team or organisational performance and to devise strategies to overcome those obstacles, involving others as appropriate.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and technologies across the asset and program lifecycle within the Government Solutions and Energy sectors. KBR employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide (including our joint ventures), with customers in more than 80 countries, and operations in 40 countries, across three synergistic global businesses:
Government Solutions , serving government customers globally, including capabilities that cover the full lifecycle of defense, space, aviation and other government programs and missions from research and development, through systems engineering, test and evaluation, program management, to operations, maintenance, and field logistics
Technology Solutions , featuring proprietary technology, equipment, catalysts, digital solutions and related technical services for the monetization of hydrocarbons, including refining, petrochemicals, ammonia and specialty chemicals, as well as inorganics
Energy Solutions , including onshore oil and gas; LNG (liquefaction and regasification)/GTL; oil refining; petrochemicals; chemicals; fertilizers; differentiated EPC; maintenance services (Brown & Root Industrial Services); offshore oil and gas (shallow-water, deep-water, subsea); floating solutions (FPU, FPSO, FLNG & FSRU); program management and consulting services
KBR is proud to work with its customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, integrated EPC delivery and long term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver .