- Military veterans preferred
SAIC is looking to hire an Atmospheric Scientist to join our team supporting the Air Force weather community and the TADS contract in Omaha, NE.
- Responsible for applying knowledge of atmosphere processes in order to analyze and predict weather elements.
- Works on an integrated team with NWP scientists, data scientists, and software engineers to develop new methods for analyzing and forecasting operational weather, to include the global cloud field.
- Applies weather knowledge to help with algorithm development and refinement of new analysis and forecasting tools and techniques.
- Verifies and validates new techniques.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on operational weather forecasting and analysis for Air Force weather operations.
- Apply weather analysis and forecasting knowledge to help develop, verify, and refine numerical weather prediction techniques for Air Force weather operations.
- Verify output from numerical weather prediction tools against observational data, including surface observations, sounding data, and satellite observations.
- Analyze satellite data from various sources to understand global weather patterns, particularly the global cloud field
- Perform applied research on exploitation of numerical model output and observational data to improve NWP tools.
- Develop reports and forecasts from the analysis of weather and climate data, as needed, to support numerical model development.
- Use computer models that analyze data about the atmosphere.
- Create weather maps and graphics, as needed.
- Leverage weather balloons, radar systems, satellites, and sensors to monitor the weather and collect data, as required.
- Analyze historical weather and climate information such as cloud data, precipitation, and temperature records, to identify trends and patterns that may be exploited for NWP applications
- Understand and predict global and regional weather patterns.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
B.S. in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science with 5 years operational weather forecasting experience, or equivalent knowledge
- Knowledge of NWP systems such as GFS, WRF, MM5, and/or the UK Met Office Model
- Air Force weather forecasting experience
- Experience validating/verifying numerical weather prediction models and/or algorithms
- Experience with satellite meteorology and cloud forecasting
- Familiarity with weather data formats including, but not limited to, METAR, GriB, Grib2, NetCDF, and satellite data formats
- Experience developing and/or improving operational NWP systems
- Experience developing weather software systems using Python and/or FORTRAN
- Experience with Air Force CDFS-II cloud modeling and analysis systems
More Jobs For Veterans...