Position is in NASA’s Operations Management Center (NOMC), a 24X7 network operation center, and requires supporting non-standard shifts and non-standard work weekends. Candidate will be required to work weekends and holidays.
Candidate will support the network operation’s day-to-day activities in support of NASA missions.
Candidate will use a variety of network management and diagnostic tools for monitoring, troubleshooting communications-related and node/application related problems.
Position requires monitoring and some maintenance assistance of Cisco Routers & Switches, Junipers Routers.
Candidate will also need to learn to operate NASA unique hardware items.
Candidate will be working directly with other NASA centers and customers to help resolve real-time network and dataflow problems which are unique to NASA.
Candidate will be involved in a number of activities including the testing and implementation of new network services.
Candidate must be able to pass both a written and practical certification test within 180 days of hire.
Education and Experience:
- Ideal candidate must be able to grasp a wide range of unique skills, able to think and respond quickly to real-time data flow problems.
- Candidate must have fundamental knowledge of TCP/IP technology including IP addressing, subnet masking.
- Knowledge of help desk operations and excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Candidate must be an effective communicator and be able to coordinate network and customer related problems with other technical sections.
- Outgoing with a pleasant personality and a positive can-do attitude. Candidate must have strong multi-tasking skills and be available to work after hours and weekends (as required).
- Knowledge of serial interfaces including RS232, V.35 and RS 449 preferred
- Knowledgeable in WAN protocols such as SONET; Experience with TCP/IP and IP addressing schemes, network monitoring tools (HP Openview, MRTG) and trouble ticket processes (Remedy is a plus); Hands-on experience with industry products (Cisco, Juniper, and Ciena are highly desired)
- Experience in supporting WAN & LAN connectivity, telecommunications (VoIP) or internet technology
- Knowledgeable of transmission principals including T1, T3, DS-3 &OC-3/48
- Experience with network analysis tools (Matt’s Trace Route (MTR) and Multi Routers Traffic Grapher (MRTG) are a plus); Experience in performing traceroutes, executing ping test and a strong working knowledge in Unix and Microsoft
- Strong knowledge and hands on experience with data analyzers, network probes and other network diagnostic and performance measurement devices
- Industry standard certifications (CCNA, CCNP or JNCIA are a strong plus);
BS degree in a related field & 2 years experience or High School & 4 years experience.
Candidate must possess a Secret Clearance or Higher