Kellogg Brown & Root (www.kbrjobs.com)
Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will participate in the development of the hardware components of ground and flight hardware systems that will contribute to accomplishing NASA's mission. This hardware is to be used primarily maintaining the health and well-being of astronauts or conducting experiments on the International Space Station and exploration. The Senior Mechanical Engineer is expected to have high aptitude in mechanical design; concern with producing hardware of the highest quality; and have the capacity to understand and utilize the major concepts of mechanical engineering as well as having a general understanding of the integration of electrical/biomedical and software engineering principles that will enable the successful interface with engineers performing work in these disciplines.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is expected to:1) Have extensive knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices and be able to apply that knowledge make independent decisions on a broad range of space-related engineering problems 2) Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard and advanced engineering techniques, procedures and criteria and use judgement to make decisions to provide engineering solutions to problems. The Senior Mechanical will receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects. 3) Serve in technical leadership roles 4) Have work reviewed to ensure sound profession judgment has been employed and participate in the review of others work to ensure the quality of that work 5) Perform mechanical engineering work including, but not limited to, requirements generation and definition, hardware/software conceptual design and test, hardware/software preliminary design and test, hardware/software detailed design and test, hardware/software assembly/fabrication, hardware/software acceptance and qualification test support, hardware/software operations support in support of assigned projects in the Design Engineering and Fabrication Section of the Flight Hardware Department. 6) Receive instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions and work with limited to minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Know and adhere to company policies, procedures, and work rules, demonstrate a strong work ethic and demonstrate involvement and commitment to the continuous improvement process
• Commitments are met and all are done to the highest quality standards.
• Follow established procedures and generate finished work products under time and budgetary constraints and ensures product yields the expected outcome and meets established quality levels.
• Ability to work within a team environment
• Ability to understand and execute process and procedures
• Well-developed skills in both written and verbal communication
• Perform assigned tasks in requirements/specifications generation and definition, hardware/software conceptual research, design and test, hardware/software preliminary design and test, hardware/software detailed design and test, hardware/software assembly/fabrication, hardware/software acceptance and qualification test support, hardware/software operations support in support of assigned projects.
• Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope
• Perform work that involves conventional engineering practices but may include a variety of complex features and difficult coordination requirements
• Application of engineering principles and practice of related specialties
• Ability to communicate with all levels of contract management, peers and customers
• Support ISO/AS9100/CMMI activities and audits
• Ability to determine/track/report project tasking and to status technical, budget, schedule and risks
• Other duties as assigned??
• A BS degree in Mechanical Engineering 10 years experience with at least 5 years in flight hardware development;
• Previous working experience with NASA or a NASA contractor;
• Demonstrated success in working within complex projects in a dynamic environment;
• Experience in developing hardware/products for extremely integrated projects;
• Capable of identifying risks and issues, reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options for mitigation and implement solutions;
• Comprehensive knowledge of disciplines within engineering and how to apply appropriate expertise within human spaceflight programs;
• Experience with NASA systems.
• Excellent written and oral communication skill including presenting information to customers;
• Leadership experience of technical personnel performing complex engineering activities
• Experience in machine shop estimation and production planning
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and technologies across the asset and program lifecycle within the Government Solutions and Energy sectors. KBR employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide (including our joint ventures), with customers in more than 80 countries, and operations in 40 countries, across three synergistic global businesses:
Government Solutions , serving government customers globally, including capabilities that cover the full lifecycle of defense, space, aviation and other government programs and missions from research and development, through systems engineering, test and evaluation, program management, to operations, maintenance, and field logistics
Technology Solutions , featuring proprietary technology, equipment, catalysts, digital solutions and related technical services for the monetization of hydrocarbons, including refining, petrochemicals, ammonia and specialty chemicals, as well as inorganics
Energy Solutions , including onshore oil and gas; LNG (liquefaction and regasification)/GTL; oil refining; petrochemicals; chemicals; fertilizers; differentiated EPC; maintenance services (Brown & Root Industrial Services); offshore oil and gas (shallow-water, deep-water, subsea); floating solutions (FPU, FPSO, FLNG & FSRU); program management and consulting services
KBR is proud to work with its customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, integrated EPC delivery and long term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver .