SAIC is seeking a Flight Operations RF Comm Engineer on the NASA OMES II contract in support of the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA’s mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation’s economy and protect lives and property.
This is a senior system engineering position working with the Mission Operations Support Team (MOST) on JPSS. Primary responsibilities include the following:
· - Become the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the RF Comm spacecraft subsystem to support the JPSS Mission Operations Support Team (MOST).
· - MOST readiness activities to include; Joint Compatibility Tests (JCTs), Mission Rehearsals (MRs), Day In The Life (DITL) and daily operations testing.
₋ Readiness activities require working 12-hour shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays for up to 7-days.
· - Support the MOST in Launch and Early Orbit (LEO) activities.
₋ This includes from launch to handover to NOAA, which is 90-days.
₋ Launch and Early Orbit activities require working 12-hour shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays for the duration of the 90-day period.
· - Provide support in the build installation and testing of post deployment checkout.
· - Coordinate with NASA I&T engineers to understand developments during spacecraft assembly
· - Responsible for creating and reviewing command procedure for the RF Comm subsystem.
· - Oversee the work of the junior RF Comm engineer.
· - Provide status of the subsystem and assist in anomaly resolution for the subsystem.
· - Interface with other spacecraft Subsystem SME’s as well as Spacecraft and Instrument SME’s for product development and testing
· - Support other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree and 9 years or more related experience; Masters and 7 years or more related experience.
- Must be able to pass a Government background investigation.
- Spacecraft subsystems experience in operations or I&T.
- Previous experience/proficiency with tools/languages such as STK, MATLAB, ECLIPSE, CECIL
- Systems Engineer experience.
- Must be able to support 24/7 operations (12-hour shifts) during testing and rehearsals as well as the 90-day LEO&A period.
- MS Office skills required