GDIT is seeking a Protocol Oversight Specialist in support of the US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC), Animal Care and Use Review Office (ACURO). ACURO is responsible for conducting headquarters-level review of all animal research proposals sponsored by the USAMRMC. The role of the Protocol Oversight Specialist includes:
- Conduct independent expert review of animal use protocols to ensure compliance with federal and DOD regulations and guidelines. Evaluate protocols to determine appropriate IACUC review, adherence to requirements, and to ensure that pain and distress issues are adequately addressed. Ensure the use of animals is scientifically justified, appropriately documented, and performed in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Interact professionally with investigators via telephone and email to answer animal care and use questions, clarify information required, and to obtain required information to secure approval. Document oral conversations with written correspondence to confirm conversation points.
- Regularly interact with contracting personnel to discuss proposal/protocol status, review challenges, and to obtain or provide information on status and other animal use related issues.
- Present and discuss protocol details with ACURO veterinarians to ensure that all regulatory considerations are appropriately addressed. Discuss complex issues with senior staff to coordinate office positions and responses.
- Utilize Electronic Grants System (EGS) as applicable to conduct protocol review and processing.
- Review lifecycle actions, including amendments, adverse event reports, noncompliance issues, etc., to ensure that all issues pertaining to animal care and use procedures are appropriately addressed. Advise PIs and other protocol contacts on need for lifecycle actions as well as reporting requirements.
- Issue reminder notices to correspondents at appropriate intervals in accordance with office policy.
- Provide regular updates to funding agencies regarding protocol status based on reports generated in electronic systems.
- Utilize standardized reports to maintain currency on protocol related tasks such reminder notifications and review deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in an animal related field is preferred.
- Possess Laboratory Animal Technologist Certification from the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- One year minimum experience serving on an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) or otherwise conducting animal protocol review at an advanced level.
- Experience in regulatory oversight or compliance monitoring related to laboratory animal programs with a strong understanding of current regulations pertaining to the use of animals in research, development, testing, and evaluation and training.
- Analytical, logical thought process and meticulous attention to detail as well as the ability to translate skills and knowledge to others is a must.
- This individual must be a subject matter expert in the area of animal care and use programs, facilities, and regulations. He or she will be expected to serve as an information resource for ACURO staff, Investigators, and subordinate laboratory staff members. In depth knowledge of laboratory animal science is essential for the position.
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain a favorable NACI T1 security investigation.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.