SAIC is seeking qualified candidates to support the US Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS) program.
AFAMS is the premier agency responsible for implementation, integration, and development of Modeling and Simulation (M&S) and training and analysis standards that support the US Air Force (USAF), Department of Defense (DoD), and mission partners requiring these capabilities to support the Warfighter in full-spectrum operations.
As the lead agent for M&S within the USAF, AFAMS gathers requirements, seeks out potential solutions, and integrates legacy and emerging M&S solutions across the USAF and the DoD. The USAF has an M&S initiative that focuses on providing simulation and synthetic training as the critical capability to augment live training, act as an enabler for critical decision-making, and enhance human performance. In the current resource constrained environment, demand for M&S rises with the continuously evolving need for operational readiness and mission preparedness across the USAF, DoD, and with coalition partners. AFAMS focuses on providing innovative M&S services as the key to meeting this demand.
The role of this position is to support Headquarters USAF/A3W in the Pentagon, DC or Wright Patterson AFB, OH. The Air Force Weather Systems Data Scientist will:
- Integrate with SIMAF, AFRL, AFWIC, HAF/A9 and other DoD/government/academic/commercial partners to ensure system and data interoperability within the M&S and LVC communities as well as within the JADC2 Sensing Grid and ABMS.
- Document shortfalls of weather data, products and services within the M&S and LVC communities as well as shortfalls within the JADC2 Sensing Grid and ABMS.
- Engage with key stakeholders in the requirements process to document those shortfalls.
- Primary travel location would be to SIMAF at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH (or the Pentagon, DC if candidate lives in OH) but duties may require other locations.
The following skills are required:
- Minimum 10 years of experience working directly in the atmospheric sciences field, with associated experiences in numerical weather/climate prediction, experience in modern weather data production and dissemination processes.
- Working knowledge of the following:
- Meteorology/atmospheric sciences, to include atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics; weather system analysis and prediction; physical meteorology; and remote sensing of the atmosphere
- Ordinary differential equations
- Familiarity with three or more of the following: Physical hydrology, statistics, chemistry, physical oceanography, physical climatology, radiative transfer, aeronomy, advanced electricity and magnetism, light and optics, or computer science
- Possess strategic and senior leader level collaboration
- Technical communication skills, to include ability to use Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel). Familiarity with Modeling & Simulation programs desired.
- GS-1340 Meteorologist Series Qualified with advanced degree(s) in Computer Science, Computer Programming, Atmospheric Science/Meteorology, Climatology, Numerical Weather Predication/Data Assimilation, Physics, and/or Mathematics.
- Desired: M.S. or higher in Atmospheric Sciences. Working knowledge of the operational practices of the M&S LVC Community to support Testing & Training. Experience with campaign level analysis, experience with integration of mission simulators with large-scale models, and/or physics based modeling of systems desired.
- Bachelors and fifteen (15) years or more of related experience; Masters and thirteen (13) years or more experience; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience.
- A Secret security clearance is required and a Top Secret/SCI with SAP eligibility security clearance is desired for this position.