The candidate will provide support for passive microwave remote sensing instrument development, testing, calibration, validation and data analysis. The successful candidate will support instrument scientists and engineers on the NASA/NOAA Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Program. JPSS is the Nation's polar-orbiting operational environmental satellite system. JPSS is a collaborative program between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). This interagency effort is the latest generation of U.S. polar-orbiting, environmental satellites. There are four planned spacecraft in the series. JPSS-1 is operational and was launched in 2017. JPSS-2 through JPSS-4 are under construction. JPSS -4 will be operational through 2039.
The successful candidate will:
- Download raw instrument data from various sites; subset data spatially and temporally; generate images from the data; calculate microwave instrument performance metrics; resample to different spatial coordinates; overlay & combine data from multiple sources; compare remotely sensed data to data from numerical models, calibration/validation campaigns, and/or other validation data sources; analyze data related to instrument health and performance; automate some of these tasks; diagnose instrument problems and develop & implement corrections as part of the instrument team.
- Participate in testing, data analysis, and algorithm development related to detection and simulation of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) on microwave observations.
- Support instrument testing and instrument performance test verification.
- Apply the above activities to space-borne as well as to related microwave airborne calibration/validation instruments.
- Participate in calibration/validation related activities and in field data collection as required.
- Write code to create or adapt models for microwave remote sensing; adapt existing computer models from one programming language to another; run the code; generate plots, tables, and images from the model output; automate some of these tasks; assist with data interpretation. Document code, algorithms, procedures, and results.
- Support the generation of manuscripts, presentations, reports, and proposals. This includes helping with the production of images, figures, tables, charts, as well as helping with the generation of the final document.
- Make presentations at Project reviews or technical conferences as requested.
- Participate in teleconferences, videoconferences, and in-person meetings as needed to support the Advanced Technology Microwave Sounder (ATMS Science Analysis Team and JPSS project activities.
- Ensure backup copies of electronic records are current.
- Conduct data transfers from domestic and/or international collaborator sites as required.
- Provide ongoing risk assessment and mitigation in performance of this task.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residence status is required.
Candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- 6+ years of experience with sensor testing and performance assessments, NASA Directives and their requirements and impact. At minimum, be intimately familiar with:
- Analyzing Raw Instrument Data
- Sensor Testing and Performance Assessments
- Satellite missions Systems Engineering practices
- Microwave Instruments
- Risk Management Methodologies
- A BS in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or related field. An MS will be preferred.
The following additional qualifications are preferred:
- Prior experience with spaceflight Projects is required. Experience with data analysis, calibration and validation for satellite-based remote sensing instruments will be a plus.
- Have broad and comprehensive expertise in leading-edge theories, techniques and/or technologies within own job family and/or its related disciplines.
- Have expertise in DOD, Agency, and/or industry standards and engineering requirements, making recommendations to customer for changes to standards and requirements.
- Have knowledge of MATLAB. Programming will be done mainly in MATLAB. Knowledge of other programming languages, Google Earth, and/or GIS software would be desirable. Have experience with Linux/Unix and/or Windows.
Additionally, the Candidate must demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Critical thinking
- Strategy development
- Good judgment and relationship management
- Ability to track detailed assignments and ensure timely delivery
- Ability to work independently, quickly, efficiently and accurately in a dynamic and fluid environment
Green Card or US citizenship is required.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and solutions across the asset and program life cycle within the government services and technology sectors. KBR employs approximately 28,000 people worldwide with customers in more than 80 countries and operations in 40 countries. ?
KBR is proud to work with customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, and long- term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver.
Attempts to commit fraud against individuals has infiltrated the job placement market both on the internet and through direct phone or email contact. Such attempts have on occasion, included the unauthorized use of KBR’s name and logo to solicit potential job seekers for employment or to extend fraudulent job offers. Bad actors may place advertisements for fake positions mixed with legitimate job postings, with false contact instructions for expressing interest of obtaining additional information. These misrepresentations typically include promises of high-paying jobs with the requirement that job seekers send sensitive personal information or money to pay for things such as visa applications or processing fees.
Please be advised that KBR will never ask a potential job seeker for any sort of advance payment as part of the recruiting or hiring process, and candidate profiles are carefully managed to protect personal information.