SAIC is looking for a Payload Engineer to support a dynamic program in Chantilly, Virginia. This position requires an active TS/SCI with Poly.
Payload Engineering requires a payload system engineer with broad technical expertise in spacecraft payload design and requirements development. The selected candidate will be an integral participant in payload architecture definition and trades, requirements development & verification and test. Key areas of focus include thread-related payload architecture and design evaluations, payload subsystem requirements analysis, evaluation of requirements allocations documents (RADs), requirements verification plans (RVPs), requirement verification reports (RVRs), sell-off recommendations and proposal technical evaluations. Candidate should be experienced in the design & integration of satellite payloads and knowledgeable of space system development and space vehicle development. The following tasks are representative of those that will be accomplished at the request of the customer:
- Support the customer in the oversight of the development and documentation of the specifications associated with his or her assigned thread
- Provide expert advice and coordination concerning payload dynamic range development
- Assess feasibility of new payloads and payload functionality enhancements, particularly as they are associated with his/her assigned thread
- Review and assess specifications, RADs, RVPs, ICDs, RVRs, and system level requirements documentation pertaining to his/her thread and the functionality and accommodation of payloads onto the satellite bus
- Review, analyze and coordinate any changes to specifications associated with his/her thread and ensure requirement allocation documentation is complete and accurate
- Provide recommendations to the USG regarding acceptability of RVRs and payload compliance to requirements as it pertains to his/her thread
- Track development issues, significant accomplishments, and upcoming events and provide weekly status updates to the customer
- Attend space system and payload level design reviews and program management reviews to assess design maturity, requirements compliance as it pertains to his/her thread and to provide informed technical recommendations to the USG
- Identify and assess emerging risks; develop and evaluate proposed burn-down plans
- Provide expert advice/analysis on requirements development and interface considerations for new payload developments
- Provide support to launch and satellite on-orbit test as required by the customer
- Attend Branch level meetings as appropriate at the request of the customer to coordinate support activities
- Provide technical evaluation of payload efforts in contractor Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs)
- Attend contractor milestone reviews (e.g. PDR, CDR, pre-test, pre-ship and other meetings) to provide technically based recommendations regarding satisfaction of review entrance and exit criteria
- Provide support to factory integration and test activities as required
- Develop productive relationships with prime contractor counterparts, functional counterparts, and other payload and payload subsystem subject matter experts
- Advise and mentor USG payload systems engineering and payload subsystem personnel regarding his/her thread
- Other duties as specified by the customer
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors in engineering discipline required and 9+ years of experience. Education and experience with spacecraft systems engineering, payload desgin, manufacture, and test. Basic understanding of DoD/IC satellite systems and architectures. Excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building, and problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to be effective a USG/contractor team environment. Experience in DoD/IC acquisition and program management processes. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Demonstrated sustained superior performance. Available to travel domestically.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.