Space Vehicle Systems Engineer
Location VA - Chantilly
Req # 5289
Minimum Clearance Required TS/SCI
Thank you for your interest in joining the KBR team. Together, we can leverage the next generation of advanced technologies to deliver industry-leading capabilities across land, air, sea, space, and cyberspace. Our goal is to deliver innovative solutions using an agile, mission-first approach to address the most difficult technical challenges facing our customers. The only way that we can tackle these challenges is by recruiting the brightest minds in the industry to join our team.
KBR is seeking a Space Vehicle Systems Engineer to support our customer in Chantilly, VA. This position would support the Space and Launch Division which provides technical and programmatic support to coordinate and execute acquisition, payload engineering, vehicle engineering, adjunct payload accommodation, and integration, test and launch functions for spacecraft and adjunct payloads. The Vehicle Engineering Branch requires an engineer with technical expertise in spacecraft systems engineering. The selected candidate will be an integral participant in spacecraft requirements development, design analysis, and verification. Key areas of focus include spacecraft requirements, test, deployments, weight management, fault management, power allocation, and payload accommodation. The candidate should be experienced in the design and integration of satellite buses, satellite bus hardware (ACS, C&DH, EPS) and knowledgeable of launch and flight operations of space vehicles.
- Support the customer in the oversight of all aspects of the design, integration and test of the spacecraft bus.
- Provide expert advice concerning accommodation development.
- Review and coordinate on all changes to specifications, ICDs and system level requirements documentation including the mechanical, thermal, and electrical accommodation of payloads onto the satellite bus.
- Review spacecraft manufacturing specifications for accuracy and ensure requirement allocation documentation is complete and accurate.
- Review drawings, documents and procedures for design, manufacturing and integration, and provide comments to the contractor and/or government.
- Track development issues, significant accomplishments and upcoming events and provide weekly status updates to the customer.
- Attend system level design reviews, and program management reviews to assess design maturity, requirements compliance and to provide informed technical recommendations to the Government.
- Identify and assess emerging risks; develop and evaluate proposed burn-down plans.
- Review prime contractor readiness to proceed into spacecraft manufacturing and test.
- Provide expert advice/analysis on accommodation considerations for new satellite/payload developments.
- Coordinate with spacecraft bus development POC, subsystem leads, branch chiefs and division chiefs.
- Provide support to launch and to satellite on-orbit test as required by the customer.
- Attend branch meetings as appropriate at the request of the customer to coordinate support activities.
- Provide technical evaluation of accommodation efforts in contractor Engineering Change Proposals (ECP).
- Attend contractor milestone reviews (e.g. PDR, CDR, pre-test, pre-ship and other meetings) to provide technically based recommendations regarding satisfaction of review entrance and exit criteria.
- Support factory integration and test activities as required.
- Develop productive relationships with prime contractor counterparts, functional counterparts, and other spacecraft subsystem subject matter experts.
- Advise and mentor Government space vehicle systems engineering lead and other Vehicle Engineering Branch personnel regarding spacecraft design elements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and nine or more years of related experience; Master’s degree in engineering and seven or more years of related experience; PhD and four years of related experience required.
- Education and experience with spacecraft design, manufacture, and test.
- Basic understanding of DOD/IC satellite systems and architectures.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building and problem-solving skills with a demonstrated ability to be effective in a government/contractor team environment.
- Experience with DOORS, NASTRAN, ADAMS, MATLAB or MATHCAD, or CATIA is desired
- Experience in DOD/IC acquisition and program management processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated sustained superior performance.
- Available to travel domestically (25% estimate).
Security Clearance Requirements: ACTIVE TS/SCI with CI Poly
KBR is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by law.