SAIC is looking for a hands-on and motivated self-starter who's passionate about working directly with customers to help adopt new business strategies and embrace cloud technologies at scale that will ensure long-term customer success. This highly motivated and experienced Cloud Optimization Engineering expert will support various programs and strategic initiatives within the company, including internal investment projects (IR&D) and external customer support. The selected candidate will be an expert in all aspects of Cloud Optimization, Automation, Scripting and Development who readily adapts to support a variety of challenging technical requirements in a dynamic and fast paced environment. The position can be worked anywhere within the U.S. with up to 25% travel annually.
As the Cloud Optimization Engineer you will act as a Cloud Optimization subject matter expert. You will have the opportunity to engage with some of the most ground breaking cloud initiatives and strategic customers to help transform the way they purchase, manage, and optimize IT services. You will engage with customers, Enterprise IT, Operations, and Finance teams to implement best practices for cloud adoption and cost savings. This will include generating and providing recommendations on how customers can optimize their usage of Cloud services, working to re-engineer internal people and processes, and working with partners to ensure ongoing success. You will be experienced at working with large data sets, have a familiarity of IT transformation and proven success influencing the executive suite by delivering compelling business value proposition. You will have superb communication and customer-relationship skills, outstanding analytic insight, and be a passionate advocate for SAIC customers to other internal parties.
- Act as a financial advisor and collaborate with Public Cloud account teams, to build and deliver executive content (such as financial business case, ROI and TCO Analysis, cost optimization strategies)
- Educate and enable customers with tools to successfully manage cloud and IT spend
- Assessing reporting and analytic needs of customers and identifying solution and approach to meet those needs.
- Communicate, establish, and measure KPIs to track progress and success of transformation and optimization within customer organizations
- Understand and communicate billing, forecasting, and budgeting best practices
- Support consumers in understanding their cloud bills based on their business goals and budget
- Provide summaries and detailed usage statistics for resources across public clouds, offering actionable intelligence to right-size and scale services efficiently
- Identify and facilitate opportunities to optimize, reduce cost and plans to realize the savings
- Build and maintain cloud usage visibility to proactively optimize workloads
- Work closely with financial and billing teams on budget, forecast, and expenses reports relating to hosting
- Create operational metrics to demonstrate costs and usage and assist with tracking with the necessary stakeholders.
- Create and maintain internal documentation on FinOps and cost optimization processes and customer environments
- Evaluate cloud cost management processes and tools to identify optimization opportunities
- Review new capabilities released by the public cloud providers and work with customers to develop an optimization roadmap
- Collaborate with vendors, IT, Finance and Business Unit colleagues to support the integration and growth of SAIC cloud platform practices
- Support customers as a subject matter expert, recommending enhancements, dashboards, reporting, etc.
- Work with engineering/ops/finance to ensure alignment with new tags/cost centers/mapping
- Work closely with the Government engineers, SAIC cross-functional teams and SAIC partners to define and implement FinOps solutions
- Experience in cloud expense management using the FinOps/TBM discipline
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret data and provide insights
- Exposure to public cloud billing and services including AWS, Google, and Azure
- FinOps or TBM certification is highly desirable
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and experience presenting formally or informally
- Microsoft Office tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- Tertiary education or experience in a Finance related discipline is recommended including budgeting and expense management
- A DevOps mindset
- Solid understanding of cloud billing and metering and the impact of usage patterns on total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Experience providing chargeback, showback, budgeting and forecasting as core capabilities of cloud financial management
- Experience creating advanced product level visibility that will help drive better business decisions and cost accountability
- A passion for problem solving and customer service
- Experience with Application Performance Management tools (e.g. NewRelic, DataDog) preferred
- SAFe Agile development experience preferred
- Data migration skills using data loader or ETL tools desirable
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and complete simultaneous requests
- Creative and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
Required Experience, Education, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math or operations research and 14 years of experience as Software Engineer. A Master’s Degree may substitute for four (4) years of experience.
- Five (5) years of experience refactoring and migrating cloud applications using DevOps toolsets and modern methods
- Three (3) years of experience optimizing business processes, developing business cases, and analyzing alternative
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset
- Working knowledge of multiple Cloud Platforms
- AWS or Azure Solutions Architect certification
- Agile process and tools
- Knowledge of DESMF or ITIL
- Knowledge of ServiceNow or comparable IT Service Management (ITSM) products
- DevSecOps methods and tools (e.g., Jenkins, Maven, ANT)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- US Citizenship is required
- Ability to obtain up to a Top Secret level DoD security clearance upon request
- Location: 100% telework with up to 25% travel.
Desired Experience and Certifications:
- A minimum of a DoD Secret security clearance is strongly preferred
- Security + or CISSP certification is desired
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
Target salary range: $100,001 - $125,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.