Senior Optical Systems Engineer - Lidar
Around here, we define the future.
We are a company of innovators, thinkers, creators, explorers, volunteers, and dreamers. But we all share one goal: to improve the world responsibly and safely.
KBR is seeking a Senior Optical Systems Engineer to support the MIST Contract with NASA at Goddard Space Flight Center. The Senior Optical Systems Engineer will work on projects from inception at the concept development stage to completion at the product space flight qualification stage. This position will work all phases of optical subsystems from the conceptual design layout, package prototyping, fixture/?tooling design, development of mechanical attachment methods/?tools for optimal optical alignment.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Work with Mechanical & Systems Engineers, thermal/structural engineers, customers, and vendors to produce opto-mechanical system development projects in cross-functional engineering teams
- Provide system level analysis support for optical instrument and experiment design, calibration, and verification
- Develop error budgets and perform tolerance studies, design requirements and interface documents for instrument optics and optical systems. Develop assembly and test procedures and support all levels of optical subsystem integration and tests
- Support trade studies and recommend system architecture and design approach. Must be capable to lead the development of design concepts for optic handling equipment and support development of test support equipment
- Conduct analysis and evaluation of a design concept to produce realistic assessment of development and manufacturing risks. Develop strategies for mitigating risks
- Identify, specify, and manage the procurement of flight and ground optical components and be capable of generate system level optical performance analysis.
- Work with other engineers, technicians, manufacturing, and quality engineers in a team environment
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations and support project level reviews
- Write test procedures, plans & reports as necessary
Required Education, Experience, & Skills:
- BS degree or higher degree in Optical Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 10 + years of experience as an optical system engineer in the aerospace arena Strong experience in design, analysis, and test of complex optical systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong knowledge in optical design using Zemax or Code V for Aerospace applications with experience in design of optical assemblies and precision mechanisms.
- Knowledge in Lidar sensors and technology development.
- Comfortable working in a cross disciplinary environment to develop and implement new designs or help trouble-shoot existing ones.
- Candidate shall be capable of receiving guidance for working all phases of optical subsystems from the conceptual design layout, package prototyping, fixture/tooling design, development of mechanical attachment methods/tools for optimal optical alignment.
- Strong knowledge of geometrical tolerancing and dimensioning.
- Must be capable of following guidance to lead the development of design concepts for optic handling equipment and support development of test support equipment. Able to perform system trade studies, system optimization, non-sequential ray tracing, tolerance, and performance analysis.
- Familiarity with opto-electrical and opto-mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of optics fabrication and testing methods.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Solid understanding of the NASA flight hardware development process and methodology is strongly desired
- Knowledge of optical metrology and interferometry
- Knowledge of optical coating design, process and inspection and optical components cleaning methods
- Experience using laser trackers, theodolites or photogrammetry for making precision alignments is desired
- Knowledge of detectors, detector systems, fiber optics and the design and development of laser systems is desired
- Experience in the development and qualification of Flight Optical Systems is preferred
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and solutions across the asset and program life cycle within the government services and technology sectors. KBR employs approximately 28,000 people worldwide with customers in more than 80 countries and operations in 40 countries. ?
KBR is proud to work with customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, and long- term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver.
Attempts to commit fraud against individuals has infiltrated the job placement market both on the internet and through direct phone or email contact. Such attempts have on occasion, included the unauthorized use of KBR’s name and logo to solicit potential job seekers for employment or to extend fraudulent job offers. Bad actors may place advertisements for fake positions mixed with legitimate job postings, with false contact instructions for expressing interest of obtaining additional information. These misrepresentations typically include promises of high-paying jobs with the requirement that job seekers send sensitive personal information or money to pay for things such as visa applications or processing fees.
Please be advised that KBR will never ask a potential job seeker for any sort of advance payment as part of the recruiting or hiring process, and candidate profiles are carefully managed to protect personal information.