Secure our Nation, Ignite your Future
Each day U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) oversees the massive flow of people, capital, and products that enter and depart the United States via air, land, sea, and cyberspace. The volume and complexity of both physical and virtual border crossings require the application of solutions to promote efficient trade and travel. Further, effective solutions help CBP ensure the movement of people, capital, and products is legal, safe, and secure.
The strongest applicants will offer multiple years of experience in highly dynamic, threat/risk driven operating environments. They will also have a proven track record of delivering production ready decision support tools and applications employed in the field and by mission-support entities. Further, highly competitive applicants will have a demonstrated capacity to: work closely and collaboratively with mission stakeholders; respond to emergent, mission-driven changes in priorities and expected outcomes; and, apply new and emerging tools and techniques. Within three - six months of joining the project, data scientists will be expected to:
- Perform hands-on analysis and modeling involving the creation of intervention hypotheses and experiments, assessment of data needs and available sources, determination of optimal analytical approaches, performance of exploratory data analysis, and feature generation (e.g., identification, derivation, aggregation).
- Collaborate with mission stakeholders to define, frame, and scope mission challenges where big data interventions may offer important mitigations and develop robust project plans with key milestones, detailed deliverables, robust work tracking protocols, and risk mitigation strategies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in extracting, cleaning, and transforming CBP transactional and mission data associated within an identified problem space to build predictive models as well as develop appropriate supporting documentation.
- Leverage expert knowledge of a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques and methods to define and develop programming algorithms; train, evaluate, and deploy predictive analytics models that directly inform mission decisions.
- Execute projects including those intended to identify patterns and/or anomalies in large datasets; perform automated text/data classification and categorization as well as entity recognition, resolution and extraction; and named entity matching.
- Brief project management, technical design, and outcomes to both technical and non-technical audiences including senior government stakeholders throughout the model development/ project lifecycle through written as well as in-person reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree (required), Master’s or Ph.D. degree (preferred) in operations research, industrial engineering, mathematics, statistics, computer science/engineering, or other related technical fields with equivalent practical experience.
- 15+ years of related experience
- Proficiency with statistical software packages: R
- Experience with programming languages: R, SQL
- Experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP), computational linguistics, Entity extraction, named entity recognition (NER), name matching, disambiguation, Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) and Latent Dirichlet Allocation (LDA).
- Experience with entity resolution (e.g., record linking, named-entity matching, deduplication/ disambiguation)
- Experience constructing and executing queries to extract data for exploratory data analysis and model development
- Experience performing training set construction, analysis, and data mining
- Experience with unsupervised machine learning techniques and methods
- Significant experience in developing machine learning models and applying advanced analytics solutions to solve complex business problems
- Proficiency with SQL programming
- Experience with unsupervised and supervised machine learning techniques and methods
- Experience working with large-scale (e.g., terabyte and petabyte) unstructured and structured data sets and databases
- Experience performing data mining, analysis, and training set construction
- Experience with programming languages including: Python, Scala, Java
- Experience constructing and executing queries to extract data in support of EDA and model development
- Proficiency with statistical software packages including: SAS, SPSS Modeler, R, WEKA, or equivalent
- Proficiency with Unsupervised Machine Learning methods including Cluster Analysis (e.g., K-means, K-nearest Neighbor, Hierarchical, Deep Belief Networks, Principal Component Analysis), Segmentation, etc.
- Proficiency with Supervised Machine Learning methods including Decision Trees, Support Vector Machines, Logistic Regression, Random/Rotation Forests, Categorization/Classification, Neural Nets, Bayesian Networks, etc.
- Experience with pattern recognition and extraction, automated classification, and categorization
- Experience with visualization tools and techniques (e.g., Periscope, Business Objects, D3, ggplot, Tableau, SAS Visual Analytics, PowerBI)
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, HIVE, HDFS, HBase, MapReduce, Spark, Kafka, Sqoop)
- Master’s Degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science/engineering, or other related technical fields with equivalent practical experience
Selected applicants must be a US Citizen and able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) suitability.
For all positions requiring access to technology/software source code that is subject to export control laws, employment with the company is contingent on either verifying U.S.-person status or obtaining any necessary license. The applicant will be required to answer certain questions for export control purposes, and that information will be reviewed by compliance personnel to ensure compliance with federal law. ManTech may choose not to apply for a license for such individuals whose access to export-controlled technology or software source code may require authorization and may decline to proceed with an applicant on that basis alone.
ManTech International Corporation, as well as its subsidiaries proactively fulfills its role as an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, status as a Disabled Veteran, Recently Separated Veteran, Active Duty Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran, Armed Forces Services Medal, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with ManTech through its online applicant system, please contact ManTech's Corporate EEO Department at (703) 218-6000. ManTech is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer - minorities, females, disabled and protected veterans are urged to apply. ManTech's utilization of any external recruitment or job placement agency is predicated upon its full compliance with our equal opportunity/affirmative action policies. ManTech does not accept resumes from unsolicited recruiting firms. We pay no fees for unsolicited services.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access http://www.mantech.com/careers/Pages/careers.aspx as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation please click email@example.com and provide your name and contact information.