All ManTech employees will need to meet the requirements set forth in Executive Order 14042 and the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force Guidance requiring all covered contractor personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Secure our Nation, Ignite your Future
Become an integral part of a diverse team while working at an Industry Leading Organization, where our employees come first. At ManTech International Corporation, you’ll help protect our national security while working on innovative projects that offer opportunities for advancement.
Currently, ManTech is seeking a full-time Launch Systems Safety Engineer join our team near Vandenberg AFB, CA.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide systems safety engineering for activities at VSFB.
- Perform reviews of System Safety documentation (e.g. SSMP and PESHE) IAW NSS 03-01, and AFI 91-202 AFSPCSUP1, to ensure compliance with applicable DoD and Air Force requirements. Products include but are not limited to position papers, assessment summaries, risk assessment, Safety Operating Instructions and Training Plans.
- Review and verify that Launch Service Provider’s (LSP) technical documentation and activities comply with applicable system safety requirements (e.g. EWR 127-1, AFSPCMAN 91-710, MILSTD-882E, and AFI 91-202 AFSPCSUP1) and provide the USG with recommendations. Products include but are not limited to position papers, assessment summaries, risk assessment charts, and comment resolution matrices for publication reviews.
- Evaluate and update open launch and range safety items, and provide the USG with recommendations for disposition of the open items. Products include but are not limited to position papers and assessment summaries.
- Provide systems safety assessments of payload integration, ground testing, and flight safety activities to ensure mission readiness. Report noted deficiencies to the USG within 24 hours of the assessments. Products may include position papers and assessment summaries.
- Analyze the design and testing of launch vehicle flight termination systems and other critical safety components to provide the USG with recommendations for risk mitigation.
- Assess the LSP’s hazard analyses to verify all hazards are properly identified and mitigated and provide findings and recommendations to the USG.
- Evaluate mission unique EWR 127-1 and AFSPCMAN 91-710 requirements and provide the USG with documentation of discrepancies and potential cost impacts. Products include but are not limited to inputs to "Tailored" versions of safety documents for specific NSSL launch vehicles.
- Provide system safety engineering analysis for the deactivation and disposition of LSP and Space Vehicle Contractor (SVC) systems. This will include providing system safety and environmental safety analysis reports related to disposition alternatives and closeout activities.
- Coordinate with LSPs within the Transportation Working Group, develop and coordinate transportation support plans, and coordinate SLD 30 organizational support requirements for mission assurance and safety of LSP movements of flight hardware and hazardous wide loads across VSFB.
- Provide technical analysis of hazards associated with spacecraft design, launch vehicle design, aerospace ground support equipment/hardware, facilities, and processing for SSC/LE in compliance with Space Force Requirements.
- Support, coordinate, and participate in SSC/LE System Safety Working Groups and annual System Safety Groups.
- Possess familiarity with SSC/LE programs and safety review processes.
- Possess a working knowledge of range safety requirements and ensure implementation of applicable SLD 30 range safety requirements for launch and space vehicle programs support equipment/hardware and facilities.
- Possess a working knowledge of MIL-STD-882 Department of Defense Standard Practice of System Safety.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering
- 3 years of STEM experience in relevant fields with at least 1 year of NSSL, Launch/Range, DoD, or NASA systems safety experience
- Experience working with and/or leading multi-disciplined teams.
- US Citizenship required.
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or STEM field.
- Experience in one or more of the following launch vehicle system areas: 1) Guidance, navigation, and control systems, 2) Rocket engine propulsion, 3) Turbine machinery, 4) Communications systems, digital communication protocols, and signal distribution and processing, 5) Electrical power distribution, electrical interfaces, and electrical ground support equipment, 6) Avionics electronics and instrumentation, 7) Structural design and analysis, and 8) Launch engineering and operations.
- Previous familiarization and experience with software platforms such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Slack, Jira and Confluence is a plus.
- Prior military or launch vehicle systems experience.
- Excellent communication skills and previous experience working at Space & Missile Systems Center (SMC, now SSC) or other USG agencies, is preferred; experience briefing to Executive leadership is desirable.
Security Clearance Requirements:
- Must have a Top Secret Clearance
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time.
For all positions requiring access to technology/software source code that is subject to export control laws, employment with the company is contingent on either verifying U.S.-person status or obtaining any necessary license. The applicant will be required to answer certain questions for export control purposes, and that information will be reviewed by compliance personnel to ensure compliance with federal law. ManTech may choose not to apply for a license for such individuals whose access to export-controlled technology or software source code may require authorization and may decline to proceed with an applicant on that basis alone.
ManTech International Corporation, as well as its subsidiaries proactively fulfills its role as an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, status as a Disabled Veteran, Recently Separated Veteran, Active Duty Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran, Armed Forces Services Medal, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with ManTech through its online applicant system, please contact ManTech's Corporate EEO Department at (703) 218-6000. ManTech is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer - minorities, females, disabled and protected veterans are urged to apply. ManTech's utilization of any external recruitment or job placement agency is predicated upon its full compliance with our equal opportunity/affirmative action policies. ManTech does not accept resumes from unsolicited recruiting firms. We pay no fees for unsolicited services.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access http://www.mantech.com/careers/Pages/careers.aspx as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation please click firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name and contact information.