SMALL BOAT ENGINEER HELPER (SWFL-21-1683-F):
Bowhead is seeking a Small Boat Engineer Helper to support the fleet maintenance, operations and vessel support services at Kings Bay, Georgia. This team is responsible for maintaining Government furnished equipment and various watercraft associated equipment. The Small Boat Engineer Helper will perform preventative and corrective maintenance under general supervision by the Small Boat Engineer.
Small Boat Engineer Helpers are responsible for performing maintenance on various small boats used at SUBASE Kings Bay and therefore specialized certifications and experience is required to be obtained. Required certifications to be obtained may include: 10sV2000M92 MTU engines and HM521 Hamilton Jet Drive Systems; Mercury 300 hp outboard engines; Cummins QSB5.9 Engines and; MJ-292 Hamilton Jet Drive Marine Propulsion Units.
• Using various tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices.
• Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
• Assemble, install, or repair wiring, electrical or electronic components, pipe systems, plumbing, machinery, or equipment. Inspect drives, motors, and belts, check fluid levels, replace filters, or perform other maintenance actions, following checklists.
• Clean or lubricate shafts, bearings, gears, or other parts of machinery. Adjust functional parts of devices or control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, or straightedges. Repair or replace defective equipment parts, using hand tools and power tools, and reassemble equipment.
• Record type and cost of maintenance or repair work. Follow all company, DoD and industry safety standards while performing all duties on site. Follow all company Quality SOP's while performing all duties on site.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire. All job offers in connection with a covered contract will be contingent upon providing proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent is required.
• At least one (1+) year of boat engineer experience in a waterborne environment is highly desired.
• Any experience with complex Navy drawings or vessel specifications is highly desired.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; excellent written/verbal communication skills required.
• Ability to access and successfully maintain access to government / military installations is a requirement of this position.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts. To receive and respond to instructions/assignments, must be able to read, write and speak English.
• Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment with the ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds
• Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged amounts of time
• Must be able to twist, bend and squat periodically
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED: Must currently hold a security clearance at the Secret level. US Citizenship is a requirement for Secret clearance at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting. Bowhead offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short/long-term disability, and 401(k) retirement plans as well as a paid time off programs for eligible full-time employees. Eligible part-time employees are able to participate in the 401(k) retirement plans and state or contract required paid time off programs.
Link to Apply: