This position will be responsible for Maintaining, Servicing, and Diagnosing, Repairing, Training, Operating and Constructing snow roads with our fleet of PistenBullys. The position will be both working in a shop setting as well as out on the tundra. UIC Oil and Gas constructs 500 miles of snow trails throughout the winter on the North Slope of Alaska between Deadhorse, Utqia?vik, Atqasuk, Wainwright and Point Hope.
The position will be required to operate a Pistenbully's working in remote locations with no cell service. If a machine goes down the individual will need to be able to diagnose the issue and fix the machine where it is at. The work schedule is 7 days a week, 12 hour days. Typical trail days average between 12 to 18 hours a day.
This job requires an amazing work ethic and dedication to what you do. Long hours and cold days make the job brutal. Be prepared to be working in some of the coldest environments in North America
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire. All job offers in connection with a covered contract will be contingent upon providing proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date.
• Gas / Diesel Engine Repair and Diagnosis
• Drive Train Repair and Diagnosis
• Electrical Repair and Diagnosis
• Brake System Repair and Diagnosis
• Steering and Suspension Repair and Diagnosis
• Preventative Maintenance on Fleet Vehicles
• Snow Cat Fleet Maintenance, Repair and Diagnosis
• Shop Cleanliness
• Spill Prevention
• Mig & stick welding
• Electrical / electronic troubleshooting experience • Knowledge of hydraulics and hydrostatic drives
• The purpose for utilizing these units is to transport material, supplies and other goods from one remote location on the road system to remote villages or job sites.
• Cross train an operator trainee / laborer trainee for all the operating and driving functions of the above units
• Load the sleds and toboggans being pulled by the PistenBully’s (PB) to provide a balanced load while traveling across the tundra to guarantee the best efficiency for operations
• During the transport time of project, all employees will be constrained to a confined spaced area sitting in the cabs or pods on the PB’s. This will consist of 90% of the time.
• The maximum travel speed is about 12 MPH with an average speed of 8 MPH.
• All employees will be required to have cold weather clothing and boots. Misc. PPE will be furnished by company.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Must Have or obtain a valid driver’s license / clean DMV record. - Required
• Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds regularly
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions (primary shop is in the arctic, Working outside is an everyday event)
• Must have high school degree or equivalent
• Must be able to communicate clearly in English
• Follow all safety practices
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment to hit our goals and expectations.
• Communicate with department heads and employees regarding equipment problems and repairs
• Document all work done and parts on work orders
• High computer literacy
• Candidate will have a minimum of 5 years vehicle maintenance and operational experience specific to the types of vehicles in our fleet – PistenBully
• 5 Year experience running PistenBully
• 2 years of Arctic experience
• 2 years of experience running wheel loader
• Knowledge of the mechanical components on the PB’s
• Knowledge to navigate permitted trails required by industry standards
• Full understanding and knowledge of Garmin GPS and map reading skills
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see, hear and smell.
• The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects tools or controls.
• Must be capable of frequent wrist, elbow and should twisting and pulling movements.
• Must be capable of walking or standing 70% or more of a normal 8-hour work shift.
• Must be capable of occasionally lifting and pushing or pulling 100 lbs or more, and frequently lifting, pushing or pulling, and carrying up to 40lbs.
• Must be capable of climbing movements, walking on uneven terrain, and walking on snow and ice, and operating snow vehicles. Must be able to bend, kneel, reach, and crawl.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus.
• Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects over 50 pounds.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical part, fumes, airborne particles, outside weather conditions and vibration.
• The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock and loud noise levels.
• When operating equipment, subject to constant jarring of body due to jerking movement of equipment and operating on uneven surfaces.
• Must be able to sit in the operator’s seat of equipment and safely reach all pedals, switches, levers, buttons, etc. required to safely operate the equipment (if authorized for that piece of equipment);
• Must be able to sit in the operator’s seat of equipment and have an adequate field of vision of all instruments, gauges, warning lights, as well as an acceptable field of vision out of the windows and/or mirrors (if authorized for that piece of equipment)
• Confined spaced area sitting in the cabs or pods
• Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions.
• The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and in precarious places.
• Hazardous Materials/Noise: Employee will often be in contact with hazardous substances.
• They will be occasionally exposed to extreme hot/cold and wet conditions, noise, fumes or airborne particles, and risk of electric shock.
• The noise level in the work place is usually loud.
• Below freezing weather conditions
• Confine space
• Confine sleeping space • Will work in all typed of weather.
• Work in different elevations.
• Job site will contain light to heavy equipment, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools.
• People standing, walking, sitting, signaling, and talking.
• May be occasional bells, alarms, and whistles
• Applicant may be subject to environmental conditions of extreme cold, noise exposure, constantly changing work environment, irregular surfaces, slippery surfaces, moving equipment, open excavations, temporary structures, and general construction hazards.
• Traveling in speed of 12 MPH with an average speed of 8 MPH in confine space