HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC (APG-21-1638-F):
Bowhead is seeking an experienced Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT)/Heavy Equipment Mechanic to join our team in Aberdeen, MD. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic will be responsible for performing a variety of skilled and highly skilled tasks involving minor and major mechanical service and repair of Heavy Equipment. Responsibilities will include inspecting and repairing brakes, suspension, wheels, hubs, hydraulic systems and steering systems. The service and repair work will be performed on Fire Trucks, Fire Apparatus, Aerial Equipment, Fire Rescue Vehicles and other miscellaneous Fire Equipment.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
• Performing routine/scheduled maintenance and repairing equipment and vehicles which will include heavy equipment, wheeled vehicles, power generation, and material handling equipment
• Performing maintenance and repairs on Emergency Response Vehicles primarily, Pierce, Seagrave and E-One Fire Equipment
• Complete repairs and perform services in accordance to the guidance in established technical manuals
• Repairing, servicing and maintaining fire department pumpers, squads, aerial devices, tankers, wildland apparatus, and more
• Performing major repair jobs by disassembling and cleaning parts, removing and installing components, and removing and installing assemblies
• Must be able to understand and follow technical manuals, lube orders, wiring and hydraulic schematics that will be utilized during scheduled service intervals to ensure proper diagnosis and repair of vehicles and equipment
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire. All job offers in connection with a covered contract will be contingent upon providing proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date.
• A High School diploma or equivalent is required at a minimum in addition to at least 2 years Heavy Equipment Mechanic experience
• A valid CDL Class B license is required; must be able to obtain and maintain coverage by Bowhead’s insurance company
• A Department of Transportation (DOT) regulated pre-employment medical examination and drug screening are required – qualified candidates must meet federal guidelines in order to be considered for this position
• Must be able to obtain and maintain applicable security clearances as background checks will be conducted for this position
• Must have certification as an Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT)
• Must have current Heavy Truck ASE & EVT certifications for the following areas:
o T2 Truck, Diesel Engines
o T3 Truck, Drive Train
o T4 Truck, Brakes
o T5 Truck, Suspension and Steering
o T6 Truck, Electrical Systems
o F1 Maintenance, Inspection, and Testing of Fire Apparatus
o F2 Design & Performance Standards of Fire Apparatus
o F3 Fire Pumps & Accessories
o F4 Fire Apparatus Electrical Systems
• Must be able to understand, and follow technical manuals to ensure proper diagnosis and repair
• Knowledge in maintenance of military vehicles and equipment preferred
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Ability to use computers and computer Microsoft Windows programs, Word, Power Point & Excel
• May be required to perform considerable walking, pushing, lifting and standing for long periods of time.
• Will occasionally be required to stand, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Will occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds though lifts between 50 pounds and 150 pounds should be handled utilizing the “two-person” lift technique.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to obtain a security clearance at the Public Trust level. Due to the location of this work, US Citizenship is required. Bowhead reserves the right to change this requirement if necessitated by business needs or contractual obligations.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting. Bowhead offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short/long-term disability, and 401(k) retirement plans as well as a paid time off programs for eligible full-time employees. Eligible part-time employees are able to participate in the 401(k) retirement plans and state or contract required paid time off programs.
Link to Apply: