LINUX ADMINISTRATOR, SENIOR (RDTE-21-1590-F):
Bowhead seeks a Linux Administrator to join our growing team in Dahlgren, VA. Working as part of a team, administer and manage servers and end-user workstations in both unclassified and classified network environments on a Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) Program.
Essential responsibilities of the Senior Linux Administrator include, but are not limited to:
• Utilize Red Hat Enterprise Linux system administration experience to provide technical problem solving and in-depth consulting relative to system operations
• Automate installation methods and system imaging (e.g. Kickstart/Ansible)
• Use cryptographic experience to set up public key infrastructure (PKI) to create, manage, distribute, use, store, and revoke digital certificates and manage public-key encryption
• DISA STIG implementation and work within Configuration-Managed Environments
• Analyze, design, and implement modifications to system software to improve and enhance system performance by correcting errors
• Plan new hardware acquisitions, interact with vendors, educate customers, and collaborate with other projects within the organization
• Work closely with engineers to help them use workstations and servers to solve their computationally intensive problems
• Support application installation, license management, software tracking / distribution and backup/recovery of system configurations and user data files
• Understand and use essential tools for handling files, directories, command-line environments, and documentation
• Operate running systems, including booting into different run levels, identifying processes, starting and stopping virtual machines, and controlling services
• Configure local storage using partitions and logical volumes
• Create and configure file systems and file system attributes, such as permissions, encryption, access control lists, and network file systems
• Deploy, configure, and maintain systems, including software installation, update, and core services
• Manage users and groups, including use of a centralized directory for authentication
• Manage security, including basic firewall and SELinux configuration
• Configure static routes, packet filtering, and network address translation
• Set kernel runtime parameters
• Produce and deliver reports on system utilization
• Use shell scripting to automate system maintenance tasks
• Configuring system logging, including remote logging
• Configure a system to provide networking services, including HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, SMTP, SSH and NTP
In accordance with Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, candidates should be aware that they may be required to have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire. All job offers in connection with a covered contract will be contingent upon providing proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date.
• Minimum three - six years' experience in system administration of Linux-based servers and Linux-based workstations
• Ideal Linux Admin will have Department of Defense experience with security guidelines and policies. (DISA STIGS) is a plus
• Seeking specific experience with the following operating systems and services is required: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 7.x)
• Must meet DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce (IAWF) criteria or Information Assurance Technical (IAT) Level II certification at time of hire (i.e., Security+).
• Have knowledge of corporate services including: DNS, SMTP, RHEV, Splunk, Apache
• Demonstrated experience managing the installation and maintenance of IT infrastructure
• Hardware experience with Dell systems is a plus
• Experience working in an environment with rapidly changing job priorities
• Remedy ITSM Ticket Management experience
• Linux+ or Red Hat Certification preferred
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Must currently hold an active security clearance at the Secret level and be able to obtain a Top Secret Clearance upon hire. US Citizenship is a requirement for Top Secret clearance at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting.
Bowhead offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short/long-term disability, and 401(k) retirement plans as well as a paid time off programs for eligible full-time employees. Eligible part-time employees are able to participate in the 401(k) retirement plans and state or contract required paid time off programs.
Link to Apply: