This is an opening for a Firewall Administrator to support a Department of State (DoS) Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) program. This program provides transparent, interconnected systems and security supporting the DoS in successfully carrying out its U.S. foreign policy mission. IRM provides enterprise architecture design, engineering, operations and maintenance support services for desktops, servers, networks, firewalls, and enterprise applications across the Department. Program is named "Vanguard" and is an IT consolidation consisting of the Department's servers, mainframes, network devices, network perimeter, anti-virus engineering, public key infrastructure (PKI)/biometrics/encryption, monitoring tools, telephony, mobile computing platform, virtual environment, and enclave design/security engineering.
This is a firewall admin position within the Vanguard 2.2.1 program, providing general Tier II monitoring, configuration, and support to multiple firewall and perimeter security systems. The position directly supports DoS on-site to provide perimeter security protection to over 80,000 customers globally.
Description of Duties:
Provides Tier 2 support in the monitoring, management, and troubleshooting of perimeter devices to include firewalls, proxies, switches, and mail transport agents.
- Monitor Service Now application for Firewall Operations incident and service requests.
- Implements firewall routing rules and policies, perform troubleshoots of firewall, email, and Proxy platforms for performance issues. Analyzes network traffic captures.
- Escalates issues as required to Tier 3 staff and monitors issues throughout a problem’s life cycle
- Performs recurring maintenance activities such as device reboots on perimeter devices
- Records and reports on firewall operations, utilization, and maintenance.
- Collaborate across Bureaus and Agencies to implement and repair network changes as they relate to perimeter security devices.
- Support Diplomatic Security Computer Incident Response Team by implementing IP address blocks requests.
- Routinely updates architecture diagrams using Visio
- Monitor and perform health checks on multiple perimeter security devices.
- Draft, coordinate and publish outage notifications as required.
- Update shift logs and provide reports to leadership daily.
- Maintain standard operating procedures, work instructions, and other working documents.
- Attend weekly teleconferences, onsite meetings, and participate in working groups as required.
BA degree and 5 years of experience.
Required Experience, Skills, & Attributes
- In Depth experience using Palo Alto Firewalls and Panorama monitoring tools to troubleshoot and configure a Firewall infrastructure. Strong understanding of networking, proxy, and packet filtering technologies.
- Minimum 5 years IT Customer Support experience (Tier I and/or Tier II).
- First-hand experience with supporting the monitoring and configuration of Firewall/DMZ infrastructure including Network and Application Firewall Packet Filtering technologies (StoneGate, Palo Alto, Cisco Email Security Appliances (ESA), A10 proxy devices).
- CLI experience preferred.
- Experienced in utilizing network monitoring tools such as Nagios and NeuralStar
- Basic Microsoft Windows Server 2016 implementation and troubleshooting from a security/firewall perspective.
- Intermediate knowledge in configuring Cisco switches.
- Experienced with TCP/IP network implementation and troubleshooting
- An active Secret clearance is required to start work and requires eligibility to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.