Job Title: Thermal Management Systems Engineer
Reports to: Director of Design & Manufacturing Engineering
Department: Systems Design & Analysis
Location: Gilbert AZ HQ with occasional travel to customer sites.
Summary: As a Senior Engineer in Thermal Management Systems, you are both an individual contributor as well as lead other team members in the design and validation of energy/thermal management systems. This includes the design and development of thermal management components; performance analysis using CFD computational modeling of components and systems; and the design and development of solutions that leverage the existing vehicle thermal systems and components.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Key responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Leading the design, analysis, and test of innovative energy/thermal management systems to provide solutions that control thermal loads (heating and cooling) in complex systems such as battery coolant systems, motor drive / inverter applications, and vehicle HVAC systems.
- Leading multidisciplinary teams of ZEVx product engineers, Innovation team members, and external partners to design, improve, and source the next generation of energy/thermal management technology.
- Deploying your extensive experience in modeling, simulation, and/or experimentation to characterize and validate novel energy/thermal management components and systems.
- Be a team player able to influence vehicle platform leads and integration engineering team while providing technical guidance through effective coaching/mentoring.
- Owning the development and maintenance of the technology roadmap for your area and demonstrating accountability to deliver solutions in support of Business Unit objectives.
- Specify HVAC and Thermal Management Components using ASTM standards with a focus on manufacturability, production kitting, and final installation in vehicles.
- Identification of manufacturing sources for designed HVAC Components and working with quality assurance to validate supplier ECR and Quality concerns.
- 4-year engineering degree pertaining to thermal engineering/heat transfer/fluid dynamics or an equivalent field of study.
- Min 4 years’ experience with automotive thermal management systems or thermal management of complex transportation cooling systems.
- Ability to specify thermal management components based upon requirements and specifications for the rest of the systems.
- Technical understanding and familiarity with automotive industry standards, including environmental, mechanical, and electrical performance validation
- Hands on experience with vehicle chassis and vehicle HVAC systems
- Ability to execute projects with internal and external partners
- A capacity to listen, learn and implement requirements into practical applications
- Demonstrate follow-through in completing tasks
- Ability to think creatively and to present customised solutions to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multi-discipline teams.
- Ethics--Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability--Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Continually required to stand, walk, and utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, or stoop
- Continually work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently work around fumes, or airborne particles
- The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: welding machines, plasma cutters, grinders, drills
About ZEVx Inc.
Zero Electric Vehicles (ZEVx) is an Arizona based Company with deep engineering roots that strives to be the worldwide leader in electrification for light and medium duty fleet vehicles. ZEVx’s proprietary powertrain (batteries and drive motor) configuration and rapid conversion turnaround of existing fleet vehicles will accelerate EV adoption globally and provide customers the support infrastructure, fleet management services and knowledge they need to transform their fleet and quickly meet sustainability goals. ZEVx’s primary mission is to enable EV participation across the existing automotive and mobility ecosystem and support fleets through their electrification journey while scaling through democratized partnerships and making the ‘dream’ of EV accessible to all. For more information, visit .
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.