JOB TITLE: Mechanical Design Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Innovation (Systems Design)
REPORTS TO: Lead Design and Analysis Engineer
LOCATION: HQ, Gilbert, AZ
SUMMARY: Mechanical Design Engineer designs, fabricates prototypes, and details mechanical system components and sub-assemblies across the ZEVx product portfolio. With focus on manufacturability and compatibility across various product platforms, you have a vision for system integration and not just part optimization. As one of our engineers, you will collaborate with a platform team, creating products befitting our company’s name. You will be required to develop design concepts taking them through details drawings and models while collaborating with other members of our Innovations team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design products using Solidworks and Siemens NX CAD and consult with engineering and manufacturing teammates to ensure that designs are feasible (Form, Fit, Function, and Manufacturability).
- Draft multiple-view assembly, sub-assembly, and layout drawings required for assembly while designing to ASME and SAE standards.
- Design basic and complex machined and fabricated parts (including manufacturing methods) such as mounting plates, structural frame weldments, sheet metal bins, brackets, etc.
- Create BOM (Bill of materials) and cost estimates for final product designs that include sourcing options and industry established manufacturing methods. Designs must consider costs of materials, availability for volume, delivery, and quality controls.
- Record and evaluate alternate designs as necessary to bring them to safety, performance, and efficiency standards.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in a “Product lifecycle management” environment to help manage drawing files, document control, and ensuring standards are met.
- Candidates must be aligned to Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost where everyone is valued and is encouraged to improve products, processes, and contribute to the business enterprise.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited program
- 3+ years’ experience in a professional engineering position
- GD&T experience & working knowledge of all ASME drafting standards.
- Good understanding of statics and mechanics is required.
- Hands on experience with mechanical fabrication and assembly processes.
- Proficiency with Solidworks, Siemens NX CAD, Teamcenter and Microsoft Office products
- Ethics--Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability--Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Continually required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, or stoop
- Continually work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently work around fumes, or airborne particles
- The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: welding machines, plasma cutters, grinders, drills
About ZEVx Inc.
Zero Electric Vehicles (ZEVx) is an Arizona based Company with deep engineering roots that strives to be the worldwide leader in electrification for light and medium duty fleet vehicles. ZEVx’s proprietary powertrain (batteries and drive motor) configuration and rapid conversion turnaround of existing fleet vehicles will accelerate EV adoption globally and provide customers the support infrastructure, fleet management services and knowledge they need to transform their fleet and quickly meet sustainability goals. ZEVx’s primary mission is to enable EV participation across the existing automotive and mobility ecosystem and support fleets through their electrification journey while scaling through democratized partnerships and making the ‘dream’ of EV accessible to all. For more information, visit www.zevx.com.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.